This Page

has been moved to new address

You've Got to Stand for Something... or You Will Fall for Anything.....

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You've Got to Stand for Something... or You Will Fall for Anything.....

This is the line from a country song. It keeps playing over and over in my mind. It is this itch that I cannot scratch. And the problem is... scratching it ... stretches the boundaries of what I'm comfortable with. But.... this is supposed to be "something for me" ... right?  So let's start.

First and foremost - I LOVE teaching. When I say love... I mean love it. I really can't remember ever wanting to do anything else.  From the time I was a small child - I can remember "teaching" my dolls.  I used to bring home the extra papers in elementary school (the ones the teacher was going to throw out) and use them for my brother, neighbors, or ... again, dolls.  I graded their papers, I re-taught.  I loved every minute of it.  I went to college knowing I wanted to be a teacher. AND - every day I walk out my door happy that I am going to my job... a teacher. I love my students. every last one of them. and I think it shows. My students are respectful to me (for the most part... they are still teenagers) .... I get a great joy from my profession.  This is important for you to know because ... I can't stop this feeling that I might be experiencing this "calling" to do something more.  I do not believe this "calling" is to the ministry... but a similar feeling. Like God is guiding me to be more. To do more.  But what? It might be as simple as doing something outside of school - or as complex as a career change.

So... while you read the rest of this post, can you please picture me as something different than a teacher? What would that be? I'm really interested - because - although I feel called... the only thing I can put my finger on is one word: Altruism.  But that could take so many different forms - I don't know what to make of it.

Back to the title of my post. It is bizarre - because I have spent my whole teaching career showing students there are 2 sides to every story. And there are. If there was only one logical side... then there would be nothing to argue about. But - everyone should know where they stand. Everyone should stand for something.

I believe in the power of Prayer.
I believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I believe they all exist and that I will make it to Heaven because of this faith.
I believe in the right for all people to have their own opinions - and to be able to speak them.... no matter what they are. If you don't like them.. don't listen.
I believe in the right to life for all people. I believe in the power of life. I respect my friends who have other values - you are still my friends. But.... I would love to see more adoption in our world and less .... abortion. (there I said it.) This is coming from someone who has watched some very close people in my life struggle to have families and long for children of their own.  This is also coming from a mommy of a child with special needs... who wouldn't have changed a thing.
I believe in the right to love your soul mate.  I know - to some this may smack in the face of my church's values. But.... I will allow God to judge as he sees fit.  For now, I see too many examples of love that is not recognized and marriages of convenience that are given much more respect.  I'm a big proponent of compromise, so if your religion has strict marital laws... why can't your church abide by them. But if our government separates church and state... then the state could have different standards.  Example: I can stay at home and raise my family because I can go on my husband's insurance.  Other families cannot.
I believe in the right for all people to have health care. This is coming from someone who has a child who would not be here without health insurance.  My children have each cost over a million dollars... that's each. The twins were in the NICU for 21 days and Alexander... well that is self explanatory.
I believe that all people should be treated with respect and dignity. In all situations.
I believe that children should be taught discipline .... that a parent should not be a friend, but a parent.
I believe that the best thing in life you can ever be ... is a good person.

There. If I am fired for posting my beliefs... I will deal with the ramifications. (Please don't let me get fired!) However, having said that.... I feel like we have been blessed with the gift of life for this precious child. I feel like I am being changed every day.  When people - old and young (as in students) come up to me and tel me they find our story inspiring... I wonder if I am really doing what I am supposed to be doing.  When someone comes to me and says, "I need to talk to you. I feel like you will understand." ... and I have to refer them to another person because that is not my role - it is starting to bother me. I feel the need to ... do something ... to reach more people. To help more people.
I thought this blog would scratch that itch. But .... it is not quite.

So.... if you didn't see me as a teacher - what would I be?

2 Comments:

At February 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM , Blogger Me and My Boys - Krista said...

Wow! That is an awesome post! I, obviously, don't know you too well, but I think it definitely sounds like God has put you in a position to do some sort of outreach. There are so many people in situations as similar as yours who handle it completely different. But God has given you peace and clarity to bless Him and find your joy throughout trials. It may or may not be something as drastic as quitting and heading into another profession...it could be something as 'simple' as speaking at women's conferences, leading a Bible study, joining other families in your situation and show them God's love through it all.

Kristen- you are amazing and it is so much fun to watch God work through you for His glory!! Praying for ya sister! :)

 
At March 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Terri Bischoff said...

I don't know what you should be if you weren't a parent... but I have to say, you are an incredible woman and would be successful in any chosen vocation.

Big hugs to you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home