This Page

has been moved to new address

The Lists… things you never knew

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Lists… things you never knew

I’ve decided to write to another Mama Kat’s writing prompt.  It is a bit of a tough one… I had to copy and paste it here to get all the wording right:


Five Things. List 5 things we don’t know about you, 5 things you’re knowledgeable about, 5 things you know nothing about, and 5 things you believe.


IMG_0676[1]Five things. … It sounds so simple, but – actually it is so tough.  I mean… what if I hit publish and then suddenly remember something different that should have been on that list?  What if there are not 5 things people don’t know about me? I mean… I’ve shared a lot.  And just today I was in awe of a blogger who revealed some things that I could not have put on the internet.  Do I reveal those things? eeek! So here goes… my lists of 5.

5 things you don’t know about me:

1.  I once rode to Florida in the bed of a pick-up truck.  Yes, the bed had a cap on it.  No, that still doesn’t make it quite legal.  In my defense…. it seemed like a brilliant plan at the time.  We put a futon mattress in the bed of the truck and 2 people drove while the others slept.  We were able to make an 18 hour drive strait through and feel like a million bucks when we got there.  We also had a blast on the way there.

2.  I am a psychologist / sociologist at heart.  I’ve worked in the social work field before.  I scored a perfect on those parts of my “teaching” tests.  I love the way the mind works.  The way people work.  I love arguing the other side.  I love sharing both sides of life… in the science of people.

3.  I know how to paint. As in… I’m actually pretty decent at it.  People (including myself) always laugh at my drawings – because I don’t take the time to make them good.  It is funnier and faster to just pretend you are terrible… but – I actually have pretty decent talent.  Some day I will dig up my old paintings / drawings and put something on here. Until then – you will just have to trust me.

4.  I love to bake.  I used to bake pies and cookies and cheesecakes and … pasta dishes and chicken cordon bleu from scratch. … when I was off work on maternity leave.  I enjoy it.  I enjoy making a mess and having a meal come out just right.  I enjoy finding a recipe and anticipating that first bite. Love it.

5.  I have a fear that deep down people will not like me.  I hate to go to parties alone (I end up acting desperate for a friend.) I sometimes obsess over what I said… did I say too much? too little? Was I too aloof? or to sociable?  Was I really funny? or just obnoxious?  I can drive myself crazy sometimes.  I’m better (a little) now… but usually because I have a kid with me.  How sad is that…. I use my kids as my “wingmen?” *sigh*


5 things I’m knowledgeable about:

1.  I know a lot more about WHS than any person ever should.  When Alexander was diagnosed, I did what I do best… learned.  I learned and continue to learn… how to care for him, how to help him, how to …. I would consider myself an expert in my son’s life with this syndrome.

2.  I know how to build things.  I actually think I’m “male” brained.  If it is broken, I can usually fix it.  I can usually find my way out of some lost situation, and I knew how to change the oil in a car before I could drive.  I’m pretty handy with a saw (yes… even a table saw), drill, and all those sort of “fix it” tools.  I actually like to build things and usually I’m the one who puts things together in our house.

3.  I know how to write.  Although… this is a passion I’ve only recently begun to indulge.  I was always good at writing papers.  I could whip up a research paper at a rate of about an hour a page in my hay day.  A persuasive paper? with no sources? a page in 10 minutes or less.  These blog posts take much more time, but they also require much more thought and care with my words.

4.  I know a lot about kids.  It turns out… I know more about babies than I thought I did.  A mothering instinct did exist in me (I thought it might not.)  I actually like small children.  (I didn’t used to.) I honestly like teenagers.  I sort of “get it.” I mean… growing up is rough.  I usually can figure out a scene and have basically a good relationship with most people age 18 and younger. (Older… maybe not.)

5.  I am knowledgeable about history.  I am a total history buff and love stories about Rasputin and Gandhi and the Louis *of France* – see the next list.  I like geeky things like the history channel and the Biography channel.  A great biography? – there is nothing like it.  I always said my dream in life was to be featured on A & E’s Biography Show… because that meant I did something special.


5 things I know nothing about:

1.  I do not know a foreign language.  I can’t memorize for the life of me.  I took 3 years of French and could not pass the test to get into basic French in college.  I was going to have to take “remedial” French … as if 3 years wasn’t remedial enough.  So…. foreign diplomat – gone.
 
2.  I don’t know anything about how to live in wealth.  There is this phenomenal book by Ruby Payne … and in that book she actually has 3 tests.  “Can you survive in Wealth?” “Can you survive in the Middle Class?” and “Can you survive in Poverty?” It turns out – I am strait up Middle Class… although, I could survive in poverty.  The skill set needed to survive in wealth escapes me – so when I hit Powerball or the big time, I will have to hire someone to help me.

3.  I know nothing about mechanical advantage.  I specifically put this here because… despite the efforts of many people to teach me the laws of physics (while I was in physics class and later in life) and specifically mechanical advantage – I do not get it.  The only real law I understand is * If you drop something on your foot – it will hurt.*  Other than that – I don’t understand it. And … to tell you the truth… I really don’t care.  So, yes. If I have to lift something heavy, I WILL have to call someone for help.

4.  I don’t know how to to rap.  And I sort of wish I did. (This probably could have gone under things you didn’t know about me also.) It could also be because I’m watching the Grammy reveal and it is a country / rap song performance… sort of weird.  But – I do practice “rapping” when I’m alone in the car and need to vent out some frustrations.

5.  I don’t know how to get rid of my stress. There – the serious part of this post.  I really don’t.  As soon as I figure it out – I’m going to let you all know. 


5 things I believe:

1. I believe in God.  I believe that he exists.  I believe that heaven exists.  I believe I will go there someday.  I believe that I will be reunited with the people I love in heaven.  I believe that this life is only temporary… 

2.  I believe 99% of the population was born good.  They want to be good and just don’t know how.  I believe people can be reached… changed… if only you can find the way. 

3.  I believe that somehow I am going to change the way people look at the world… for the better.  I don’t know how.  I don’t know if it will be through this blog or through teaching or … some other way. But… I believe that I will help people to stop using the “R” word, that people will learn acceptance of others, and that I can have a part in this.

4. I believe you should own your actions.  I believe that you should stand up for what you believe in… but own those things. If you believe in something – say it out loud… and stand by it.  I rarely even get angry when students break a rule.  It is when they don’t accept the punishment that I become disappointed.  You can break a rule… but own it.  Be prepared to accept the consequences.  Be prepared to accept the consequences of your life. I believe that.

5. I believe that life is a gift.  That every moment wasted is … well – a moment you will never get back.  I believe you should live hard and love harder.  I believe you can have bad days and good days …. and bad moments and good moments – but you should still live hard… and love harder.  Because – tomorrow is just one more day closer to no more days together.
 Mama’s Losin’ It
Thanks MamaKat – for making me really think this week.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At November 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Helene said...

I love everything about this post. It's so hard to dig deep within ourselves and admit some of this stuff.

But now I know why I simply adore you...I worked in the social work field before I had children and I feel the same way you do. I love to figure out how the mind works and why people do the things they do. It's just so interesting.

Oh, and I also use my kids as wingmen...I totally hate going somewhere by myself because I'm afraid no one will talk to me and I'll be that one lame person standing all alone with no one to hang out with. Kids seem to break the ice every time. Whew, so glad to have finally admitted that!!!

Hope you're doing well!

 
At November 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Hilary said...

Great post!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous Dawn aka BusyMom said...

Coming at ya from Mama Kat's...

I did this one too and I enjoyed seeing what someone else had for the 5's. I have to agree with you on the first number 5...I always am afraid people will not like me or that I will say the totally wrong thing or that I will just seem like such a loser with no life but my kids and their activities... gee, I sorta am a loser...
Anyway, I get that one so much...don't worry, I will like you, so that's one person in the world, 9hundred 99million 9 hundred and 99 to go! ( that is one less than a billion, right?)

Take care and have a great day!
Dawn aka BusyMom

 
At December 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really love what you believe. We are working on having our three year old own his actions.

 
At December 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I once rode in the back of a truck to California with only a sheet stretched over the top of the bed! (To so cleverly hide that we were back there) Geez, the things we got away with!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM , Anonymous Paula Kiger said...

Wow this post blows me away. I didn't do this prompt and still may but I agree it's tough tough tough. I laughed out loud at "drop something on your foot and it will hurt"!!!! Thanks for your candor!!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Visiting from Mama Kat's. Lvoe your post. Very thoughtful. This is such a great prompt- I'm getting to know so many great people!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger championm2000 said...

Another reason we should be friends...we could go to parties together and talk to each other so we wouldn't have to worry about saying too much, too little, being too aloof, etc...because I am the exact same way!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM , Blogger The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Everytime I think I couldn't like you anymore than I already do...I find more to like about you! I'm so happy you chose this post so I could get to know you even better.

We could so rap together. Maybe a rap about blogging mommies. Maybe that would be our way to relieve stress. Hey...we may be onto something here ;-)

xo!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Arnebya said...

Boy, that living in wealth thing seems to be so elusive. When I figure it out, I'll let you know! And I love your beliefs list.

 
At December 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Tiffany said...

You had me at "practicing to rap in the car." LOVE IT! That totally made my morning, because now all I can think about is me getting down white girl style in my own car. I wonder if the kids would notice me missing... hmm... ;)

 
At December 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Heather said...

this is such a great post! You could tag it under an "about me" section. And it looks like you and I have more in common than just WHS. I'm also a bit of a psychologist at heart. I LOVE to argue the other side. sometimes I wish I didn't because it means that sometimes I've misrepresented myself. I also love to bake/cook, and i over-analyze everything I say at a party. And I love history (and literature). I'm even doing a homeschooling history curriculum with my older two boys, and we're not even homeschoolers! Fortunately they humor me. Or maybe they havn't figured out that most other kids aren't doing that at home. I also believe that people really want to be good and just don't know how. And finally "own your actions" is practically a mantra of mine. You are not responsible for what happens to you; you are responsible for your response. However I differ with you regarding living in wealth. I think I could handle it. Sure hope I get to find out someday.

 
At December 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Awesome post! You really put some thought into that one and it's great learning more a out you. I never had any idea that it could be so hard to live wealthy. I thought if you had money, lots of it anyways, that life would be easy. Maybe not. I'll have to check out that book, sounds like an interesting read.
You could bake some food for me, JK. I love to cook too, for other people. I usually get full by the time I'm done making it. haha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home