This Page

has been moved to new address

Get Back on that Horse.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Get Back on that Horse.

I have no pictures from the first day of school.  I was called down in an “emergency” …. One of my children played too hard.  They played so hard that they forgot to stop and take a potty break. 

By the time I got there with a change of shorts and underwear… that child was a “hot mess.”  Pants, underwear, socks, and even shoes were soaked.  (We needed to get new shoes tonight.)  I’m not going to name this child because – the truth is – it could have been either of them.  It could be any child.  I'm also sure this was the big conversation of Preschool.

Going somewhere new is so hard.  Everyone is new. The rules are new. The expectations are new.  When I got there… my child was crying a hysterical cry … “I want to go home.”

“I want to go home.”  I said those same words about 20 couple years ago.

I was in the 4th grade and went to a local church camp.  The last night was this big dinner – parents and everyone came.  Before we went down – our counselor asked us if we needed to use the bathroom.  Of course I didn’t.  Half way through the meal – I did.  I told my counselor and she didn’t believe me.  She said to hold it.  I couldn’t.  I was 10 years old and peed myself during a huge banquet… and sat quiet, using my feet to try to contain the puddle under my chair.

When we were finally able to leave the banquet – I ran to the bathroom and soaked my entire skirt – so the whole thing looked wet – not just the backside.

I don’t think I fooled anyone.  And I never went back to that camp.  I remember telling my mom, “I just want to go home.”

Ps…. Prior to this post – I could count the number of people who knew this story on 1 hand.

I’m so proud of my kids.  I know they are not yet 3 and will probably never remember this incident.  But… my child changed their clothes and went back to play.  My child is going back to Preschool tomorrow – despite being the “kid who peed their pants.”  I couldn’t be prouder.  Way to get back on that horse.  You are my role model.

P7270309

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At October 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Non-Stop Mom said...

That is a fantastic story - isn't it amazing how kids at that age just get through the potential drama and keep going? Adults could take a lesson from them, for sure.

I don't remember having any accidents when I was in school, but I know that a friend of mine did in 5th grade. I don't remember the circumstances, just that it happened. We were best friends forever, but we never spoke of it. My mother took her some clean clothes (her mother worked) and life went on as far as I could see.

Great post!

:)
Amy

 
At October 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Laura said...

When I was in 6th grade (yes I was 12!) I was walking home from school with one of my friends. It was about 2 miles home, and I made it MOST of the way there.... I could SEE my backyard across a field but knew I'd never make it there, so we stopped at the 7-11 gas station to use the bathroom. I got in there and couldn't get my pants down fast enough. I stood next to the toilet and peed myself. Then I splashed the rest of me with water from the sink. I then told her I wanted everyone to think we had a water fight on the way home. Yeah, like she believed THAT story....

And like you, only a handful of people know this... in fact I just told my husband that story for the first time two weeks ago while he was on vacation :)

 
At October 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a great story and how adorable is that picture? And what beautiful little role models they are.

I don't know if I'm lucky or not but I wasn't the pee or poop kid I was the kid with stitches and bumps on her head all the time, a la tom boy!

Speaking of lucky....has someone checked my blog today *hint,:)*

 
At October 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Minivan Mama said...

Kids can be so much tougher than us moms. What hurts them, hurts us 10 times harder.

 
At October 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

Great story. And even greater is the way that you relate to your kids, and really try to understand how they view things. They are lucky to have such a great mom!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home